Does your acne leave behind scars that are hard to get rid of? Don’t worry. You are not alone.
You might have wondered if there is a natural remedy for acne scars.
The answer is – tea tree oil.
In this post, we will dive deep into what tea tree oil is, and whether it can help with acne scars.
We will also look at some of the precautions that you need to take if you decide to use tea tree oil for scars.
What Is Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca, was sourced in Australia.
It has been used for centuries for treating cuts and wounds.
Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is applied topically to the skin as well.
You should avoid taking tea tree oil internally, as it has some medicinal properties that might be harmful to your body.
Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil
- Tea tree oil has antifungal and antiviral properties that are helpful to treat acne scars.
- It’s great for treating chickenpox and shingles.
- Tea tree oil is antiseptic and antibacterial. It is one of the best things you could use in terms of essential oil for wounds because oftentimes bacteria can get into a wound and cause an infection.
- It can be used for treating toenail fungus or athlete’s foot or ringworm because of its antifungal properties.
- It’s great for treating dandruff and just in general any type of skin issue, even eczema, and psoriasis.
- It can be used as an anti-mold.
- You can use tea tree oil as a natural household cleaner. It’s a natural deodorizer.
How Does Tea Tree Oil Help With Acne Scars?
Research shows that tea tree oil can lighten acne scars without causing any side effects.
It has antimicrobial properties that kill bacteria that cause acne.
Tea tree oil penetrates deep into the pores of our skin to remove toxins and prevents clogging that causes acne. It reduces inflammation and removes dead skin cells to minimize the scars.
1. Tea tree oil contains terpene, an oil that directly attacks the acne bacteria.
2. Tea tree oil helps to regulate the secretion of oil, thus preventing excess oil to get clogged into the pores.
3. Tea tree oil inhibits the growth of harmful parasites that cause acne and helps in healing your skin.
Please note that tea tree oil is extremely potent.
Use it in combination with other natural ingredients to keep the skin healthy and lighten scars.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Acne Scars
Tea tree oil is one of the most powerful essential oils for treating acne scars.
Here are some home remedies using tea tree oil for acne scars –
1. Tea Tree Oil Spot Treatment
Simply put some coconut oil in a bowl.
Add 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil and mix it well.
Using a cotton bud, tissue, or your fingers, apply the mixture directly onto your scars.
Let it sit until morning before washing it off.
2. Yogurt And Tea Tree Oil Mask For Acne Scars
Put some yogurt in a clean bowl.
Add 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil.
Once you have mixed the ingredients well, apply the mixture to your acne scars.
Let it sit for 20 minutes before washing it off.
3. Witch Hazel And Tea Tree Oil Spray
In a clean bowl, mix 1 cup of water, a teaspoon of witch hazel, and 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil.
Pour the solution into a spray bottle.
Shake the mixture well before you spray it on your skin.
4. Aloe Vera Gel And Tea Tree Oil For Acne Scars
Add some aloe vera gel into a clean bowl.
Add 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil and mix properly.
Apply the serum directly on your scars, and leave it on until morning before washing it off.
Here’s a simple recipe for aloe vera and tea tree oil moisturizer for acne.
5. Honey And Tea Tree Oil
Mix about 2-4 drops of tea tree oil with a teaspoon of Manuka honey or local honey.
Rub the mixture all over your face, leave it on for a few minutes, and then rinse it off.
6. Tea Tree Oil And Olive Oil
Olive oil purifies pores and moisturizes the skin.
Mix two drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
Apply the mixture to clean skin and leave it on for 10 minutes.
Wipe off with tissues.
Repeat daily to get rid of acne scars.
7. Tea Tree Oil And Baking Soda
Baking soda exfoliates the skin to remove dead skin cells and lightens scars while restoring the skin’s pH level.
Mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil, two drops of tea tree oil, and one teaspoon of baking soda.
Massage into clean skin, rubbing gently in circular motions. Rinse with water. Pat dry and apply a moisturizer.
8. Tea Tree Oil And Rose Water
Mix two tablespoons of brown sugar, two tablespoons of rose water, and three drops of tea tree oil.
Massage into clean skin, rubbing gently in circular motions.
Rinse with water and pat dry. Repeat three times a week.
9. Tea Tree Oil And Sandalwood Mask
Sandalwood removes excess oil and exfoliates the skin to detoxify pores and lighten scars.
Mix two tablespoons of sandalwood powder and three drops of tea tree oil with enough rose water to make a paste.
Apply the paste as a face mask and leave it on until dry.
Wet your fingers and massage gently.
Wash with cool water and pat dry.
10. Tea Tree Oil And Chickpea Flour Face Mask
Mix two tablespoons of chickpea flour, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, and two tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt.
Apply as a mask and leave it on for 15 minutes.
Wet your hands and gently massage in a circular motion for five minutes.
Rinse with cool water and pat dry. Apply a moisturizer.
11. Tea Tree Oil And Lemon Juice Face Mask
Lemon juice kills the bacteria that cause acne and it bleaches away scars.
Mix one tablespoon of olive oil, two drops of tea tree oil, and one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in a container.
Close the container and shake vigorously to emulsify into a smooth lotion-like consistency.
Apply to clean skin and leave on for 15 minutes.
Massage for five minutes with wet fingers.
Rinse with cool water and pat dry.
You can store this mixture in the refrigerator for three days. Do not apply to sensitive areas.
Precautions And Tips
1. If you are going to use tea tree oil for acne scars, I advise you to dilute it to 5% using any carrier oil like coconut oil or sunflower oil. You can also use water for dilution. Undiluted tea tree oil can be a bit harsh on the skin and can cause the skin to dry out. All you have to do for dilution is – take 5 parts of tea tree oil and mix it with 95 parts carrier oil or water. That would make it 5% tea tree oil.
2. Purchase 100% pure tea tree oil to get the best results.
3. Always do a patch test before applying tea tree oil to your entire face.
4. Wash your face with a mild cleanser before using any home remedy using tea tree oil on your face.
5. Don’t use it more than twice a day.
6. Don’t drink it.
7. If you experience allergic reactions, consult your doctor.
Here are some other at-home acne scar treatments.