This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Are you fed up trying to find a cure for your acne scars?
Are you looking for a natural way to treat your scars at home?
Green tea might be the magical cure you are looking for.
Green tea is known to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Everyone knows that it’s good for health. But is it good for acne scars?
Studies have found that green tea can help treat irritation and redness caused by acne when consumed or applied topically.
So, if you are trying to get rid of acne naturally, you should try this home remedy.
Is Green Tea Good For Acne?
- According to the University Of Maryland Medical Center, green tea contains epigallocatechin gallate, a type of catechin found in tea, that helps reduce inflammation caused by acne . It is the inflammation that results in acne scars.
- ECGC also has antioxidant properties, that attack free radicals. Rice University in its, article “Antioxidants and Free Radicals” states that free radicals can cause damage to cells, which when left untreated can lead to severe health issues.
- ECGC is antiandrogenic, meaning it regulates the production of sebum by our glands. Androgens are hormones that influence the sebaceous glands and lead to excess oil production. ECGC prevents this excess sebum from being produced.
- A study done on 47 people for 2 weeks with 2% tea lotion showed that green tea greatly impacted acne lesions .
- An 8-week study found that ECGC inhibits the growth of P.acnes .
How To Use Green Tea For Acne Scars
Please note that green tea might not work for hormonal or cystic acne. It is best to consult your doctor for proper acne treatment.
However, if you only have mild or moderate acne, you can try consuming or topically applying green tea for treating acne scars.
There are several options that you can try when it comes to using green tea for acne. Trial and error is the best approach.
Here are some of the recipes using green tea for acne scars –
1. Honey/Aloe Vera And Green Tea Face Mask For Acne
Honey has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that help to treat acne.
Aloe vera is known to hydrate the skin and promote collagen synthesis.
Moisten the green tea leaves from 1-2 tea bags with warm water.
Mix these leaves with some aloe vera or honey to make a paste.
Wash your face with a cleanser. Apply this mask all over your acne-prone areas. Leave it on for 10-20 minutes and rinse off with water. Use twice a week.
2. Green Tea Facial Mist For Acne Scars
Brew some green tea and let it cool completely. Fill it in a spritz bottle.
Wash your face with a cleanser and pat dry.
Spray the green tea mist on your dry face. Let it dry and rinse off with cold water.
You can also use cotton pads to dab the green tea solution onto your skin.
Follow up with a moisturizer.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar And Green Tea Toner For Acne
Apple cider vinegar helps to tone the skin and minimize the appearance of pores.
It is known to treat a variety of skin issues. Brew some green tea and let it cool down.
Add some apple cider vinegar to the cooled tea. Store this solution in a bottle. Use a cotton pad and apply this solution all over your face.
Let it dry and then rinse it off with cold water.
You can use this toner twice a day.
4. Tea Tree Oil And Green Tea Toner For Acne
The antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil help to treat mild to moderate acne.
Brew some green tea and let it cool down. Add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil to the cooled green tea solution.
Wash your face with a cleanser and pat dry.
Using a cotton pad, apply this solution all over your face.
Let it dry and follow up with a moisturizer. You can use this recipe twice a day to treat acne scars.
5. Lemon And Green Tea For Acne
Lemon has astringent properties that can help lighten scars and tighten skin pores.
Along with green tea, it can act as a very good acne home remedy.
Brew some green tea and let it cool down.
Add the juice of a lemon into the green tea mixture. Wash your face with a cleanser.
With a cotton pad, apply the green tea and lemon solution to your entire face.
Let it dry. Follow up with a moisturizer.
6. Olive Oil And Green Tea
Olive oil is one of the best natural oils for oil cleansing. It helps to remove dirt and dust from the surface of your face and gives it a clean look.
Brew some green tea and let it cool down.
Store this cooled green tea in a spray bottle.
Massage your face with olive oil.
Dip a cloth in warm water, remove excess water from it, and wipe it on your face.
Wash your face with a cleanser. Spray green tea on your face and let it dry.
7. Green Tea In Commercial Products
Green tea containing EGCG can be used in powdered form or liquid form by mixing it with creams.
Several creams, lotions, etc contain green tea as one of the ingredients. You can buy products containing a high amount of EGCG.
8. Drinking Green Tea
You can drink 2-3 cups of hot or cold green tea in a day.
When possible, try to brew your green tea instead of buying ready-made green tea drinks.
Some of the green tea drinks available in the market contain a high amount of sugar.
9. Green Tea Supplements
You can also buy green tea supplements from the market.
They are usually available as extracts or powders.
Be careful not to exceed 800 mg intake a day, as it can seriously damage the liver.
Precautions And Risks
It’s best to consult with your doctor before using green tea for treating severe acne scars.
The side effects mostly occur when taking excess green tea as a supplement.
You may notice dizziness, loss of appetite, insomnia, or irritation because of the caffeine present in the tea.
How To Choose The Right Green Tea For Acne?
The best green tea contains the highest amount of antioxidants in the form of EGCG.
But, it’s not easy to choose the right green tea, as different brands have different content of EGCG.
Whether you are using green tea for topical application or drinking, choosing the right green tea is very essential for getting the benefits.
- Have a look at the label and see how much EGCG it contains. Choose the brand with the highest amount of EGCG in it.
- Prefer loose leaves to tea bags, as they have a higher amount of antioxidants. If you have to buy tea bags, buy ones that have more EGCG content.
- Have a look at the expiry date. Green tea has a shelf life of 6 months. If you are buying green tea that has passed its expiry date, you will not get the benefits.
- First harvest green tea is of the highest quality. The best quality green tea leaves are picked up during March and April.
- Buy organic green tea. It’s free from chemicals.
No matter how you decide to use green tea for treating acne scars, you will see an improvement.
Green tea is a rich source of antioxidants that can reduce acne and help improve your health.
As mentioned earlier, green tea might not work for hormonal and cystic acne, and in these cases, you might have to talk to your doctor for prescribing the best medication.
Here are some more acne and acne scar home remedies.
Buy Green Tea Online
- Delicate Green Tea: Our Classic Green Tea provides essential antioxidants making it delicious and healthy! Our tea is smooth and very delicate - easy to drink hot or iced. Enjoy the whole cup
- Flavor Matters: Foil pouches for peak flavor, freshness and aroma to enjoy everywhere you go! Gluten -free, calorie-free, and Kosher Certified
- Try Every Flavor: There's a tea for morning, noon, and night time relaxation. Try our English Breakfast, Vanilla Chai, antioxidant Green Tea, decaffeinated teas, organic teas and a variety of our herbal tea bags
- Blended and Packaged in the USA: In 1945 Ruth Campbell Bigelow created our first tea, Constant Comment, a strong, flavorful black tea blended with aromatic orange peel and sweet warming spices. Today, Bigelow is still 100% Family Owned
- Uncompromised Quality: Since 1945, Bigelow Tea has been a leader in premium tea and proud to be a Certified B Corporation - meeting the highest verified standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability
- Imozai organic green tea is freshly harvested from a tea plantation in China
- USDA Certified Organic
- Green tea(té verde) has been the herbal supplement with a history of use dating back 4,000 years.
- A typical cup of green tea has about 20-30mg of caffeine,and a cup of coffee ranges from 100-180mg.
- Individually wrapped.Total 100 count
- 365 by Whole Foods Market products give you that dance-down-the-aisles feeling, virtual aisles too! Our huge range of choices with premium ingredients at prices you can get down with makes grocery shopping so much more than tossing the basics in your cart.
- FRESH FLAVOR: One box of 25 Jasmine Green tea bags. Green tea scented with jasmine flowers. Steep for two minutes for the perfect cup of green tea.
- ONLY THE FINEST QUALITY: Our expert blenders source only the finest leaves cultivated to our exacting standards by trusted growers around the world. From these tea gardens we hand-select the leaves that will shape your next Twinings moment.
- JASMINE GREEN TEA: Pure green tea expertly blended and infused with real jasmine flowers to deliver a fragrant tea with a unique floral aroma and taste.
- RICH HISTORY: In 1706 Thomas Twining began selling fine tea from an English storefront in The Strand, London. Today, Twinings still sells some of the world's best teas from the original store and in more than 100 countries throughout the world.
- HAND SELECTED FOR YOUR HOME: Made without artificial ingredients, Twinings natural teas provide a wholesome tea experience. If you enjoy Bigelow Tea, Lipton Tea, Harney & Sons Tea, Davidson's Tea, or Prince of Peace Tea - try Twining's of London Tea.