Today I am going to talk about one of my favorite home remedies for acne scars – turmeric.
Turmeric is a spice that is used in many cuisines. It has been used for thousands of years in many parts of the world and has many health benefits. In India, it is used to make curries.
This is actually a remedy that has been used by Indians for centuries. My mother used to use it on me when I had severe acne as a child.
What Is Turmeric?
Curcuma longa (turmeric) is a spice that comes from Asia. Curcuma longa has a distinct spicy flavor.
The dried root of the plant is used as a spice in Indian cooking and can be found in the spice aisle of the grocery store.
Turmeric is a spice that has been used by people for thousands of years for a variety of health conditions. Turmeric is traditionally used to treat everything from indigestion to rheumatism.
In folk medicine, turmeric is used to treat skin conditions like diaper rash and psoriasis.
What Does Turmeric Do For The Skin?
Turmeric has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine to treat a variety of skin conditions, including eczema, psoriasis, dandruff, acne, and rosacea.
The active ingredient present in turmeric – curcumin, has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and is known to fight cancer. It helps against inflammation and other skin diseases.
How Does Turmeric Help With Acne Scars?
As mentioned above, curcumin present in turmeric is anti-inflammatory and rich in antioxidants. It is also anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, and fights cancer.
So, how do these properties of turmeric help to treat acne scars?
The active ingredients in turmeric – curcuminoids fight against inflammation by treating underlying causes of acne – excess oil and bacteria. Turmeric can act as a defensive mechanism against acne breakouts by fighting free radicals.
Before we begin, let me remind you that it can stain anything it comes into contact with, including your clothes. You’ll need to wear gloves when handling the powder and make sure that you don’t wear your favorite clothes.
What Is The Best Turmeric For Acne Scars?
You can buy turmeric in any grocery store. I get it from the Indian Store. Just make sure it’s pure turmeric. Purity is very essential for treating acne.
What do you mean by pure turmeric? Pure turmeric is one that has 95% curcumin.
- ORGANIC TURMERIC POWDER (CURCUMA LONGA) - 16oz/453g Resealable Bag (1 Pound)
- IMPORTED FROM INDIA - This bag contains certified organic, turmeric powder harvested from turmeric plants in India.
- HEALTHY & DELICIOUS - Add some spice to your day with our organic turmeric root powder. This easily recognizable, vibrant yellow-orange powder has long been a staple in South Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines. Commonly used for curries, the root vegetable is also great in soups and stews, or sprinkled over some scrambled eggs.
- CERTIFIED USDA ORGANIC & NON-GMO - All our products are certified USDA Organic and certified Non-GMO. Look for the USDA Organic and Non-GMO Project seals on our products!
- LOVE IT OR WE BUY IT - We don’t think you should pay for products that you don’t love. If you aren’t enjoying our products, simply let us know and we will refund your order - it’s as easy as that!
Make sure to read the ingredients properly to ensure that the turmeric is free from other artificial ingredients and additives.
Let’s look at some of the ways you can use turmeric for acne scars.
1. Add To Your Diet
The easiest and best way is to eat turmeric. Add it to curries, soups, or even vegetables and salads.
2. Drink Turmeric Tea
Another way to get more turmeric is to drink tea. Many pre-packaged teas contain turmeric, and you can make your own at home.
3. Take Turmeric or Curcumin Supplements
Curcumin supplements can be taken as a dietary supplement or taken by mouth. They are generally well-tolerated, but large doses can cause stomach upset.
You should talk to your doctor before you start taking curcumin supplements. Certain medications may interact with curcumin.
If you are suffering from gallbladder disease, you should not take these supplements.
4. Milk, Almond Oil And Turmeric Face Pack For Acne Scars
- A small bowl
- Almond Oil
1. Add 2 tablespoons of flour to a clean bowl.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of almond oil.
4. Add as much milk as you need to mix all the ingredients into a paste.
5. We don’t want the mixture to be too thick or too runny. It should be a creamy texture. Keep adding milk until you get the right consistency.
How To Use
- Using a foundation brush or your fingers, spread the pack all over your face.
- Make sure to avoid your hairline and eyebrows.
- You can use it under your eyes to help with dark circles.
- Leave the mask on for 20 minutes before washing your face.
- After twenty minutes, your face will be very stiff and you won’t be able to smile.
- At this point wash your face with cold water.
- Be careful, it can get on the counters and the white sink. You can wipe it away with a damp cloth.
- Take a damp towel and wipe off the rest.
- Don’t be alarmed if your skin is a little yellow; this is normal. The yellowness of your skin will disappear when you wash it with a mild cleanser.
- Follow it up with an oil-free moisturizer like Neutrogena.
If you use this face mask once a week, your skin will feel clean and you will also notice a glowing effect.
5. Turmeric, Rice Flour, Chickpea Flour, Honey, And Yogurt Face Pack For Acne Scars
- Rice Flour
- Turmeric powder
- Chickpea Flour
- Add two full spoons of turmeric into the bowl.
- Take a spoonful of rice flour and add it to the mixture.
- Add two spoons of yogurt.
- Finally, add ½ spoon of honey.
- Mix everything to make a fine paste.
- Your turmeric pack for acne scars is now ready for use.
How To Use
- Using a foundation brush or your fingers, apply a thin layer of this face pack all over your face and under your eyes. You can even go down your neck or body if you wish to.
- You don’t want to apply a thick layer, as it can be difficult to clean it up afterward.
- Keep it on your face for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
- If you have that trouble getting the yellow stain, you can always use a makeup toner and a makeup remover.
Your skin will feel really smooth and renewed after using this mask regularly. I feel like when you guys start using the masks it might take about a month for you to really see the changes.
If you guys have a lot of acne scars and spots, you might have to do it about three times a week.
If you already have good skin, you can just do it about once a week.
6. Turmeric And Aloe Vera Gel Face Mask For Acne Scars
- Turmeric powder
- Aloe vera gel
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a clean bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon of aloe vera gel into the mixture.
- Finally, add 1 teaspoon of rose water to the mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients to form a runny mixture.
How To Use
- Apply the mixture all over your face with a brush or with your fingers.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
This aloe vera and turmeric face mask for acne scars is every sensitive girl’s dream. Aloe vera gel is known to calm the skin and reduce redness and irritation. Rosewater is also anti-inflammatory in nature.
7. Turmeric And Lemon Face Mask For Acne Scars
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Mix the ingredients together in a clean bowl to form a smooth paste.
How To Use
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mask over your problematic areas.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Pat dry with a towel.
Lemon is known for its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. This face mask evens out the skin tone and reduces the appearance of acne scars.
- Make sure you are not allergic to turmeric.
- Turmeric leaves behind yellow stains. Be careful, and wipe off the stains immediately.
- Make sure that you don’t apply a turmeric face mask before you have an important meeting or an important function that you have to attend. Just apply two days before the function and try to apply during weekends or the previous night.
- Turmeric might sting a little for some people.
- If you are pregnant or trying to conceive, make sure you talk to your doctor before including turmeric in your skincare routine.
Final Thoughts On Turmeric For Acne Scars
I 100 percent agree that the turmeric powder is just amazing for redness and acne scars. You may not see the results immediately, but you will notice that your scars reduce over time.
Your scars will slowly start to fade and obviously, you just have to stay consistent. It may take a week to see some results, and can even take up to a month to see lasting results.
Turmeric is great for acne-prone or even oily skin. I have very oily skin as well, and turmeric really makes my skin feel very cleansed, but not too dried out.
Turmeric can clear all your acne issues and restore healthy skin when used regularly. So I highly recommend this to all of you.
I hope you found this helpful. If you are dealing with acne, learn more about how to remove acne naturally.