This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Acne is an unwanted problem caused by excess oil production, dead skin cells, and bacteria accumulating in the pores of our skin.
The bacteria Propionibacterium acnes (or P. acnes) are found in many pimples and red skin lesions. These bacteria feed on the sebum that is produced by the sebaceous glands.
There are a lot of products on the market that claim to treat acne scars, but many of them contain harsh chemicals that dry out the skin and cause it to break out. You can instead find a lot of natural remedies that are gentle on the skin.
Today, we will learn how to treat acne scars at home using just two ingredients that are easily available in any kitchen.
The first ingredient is cinnamon powder. You can make this powder at home and store it for a long time. It’s a really powerful ingredient.
The next ingredient is honey. Honey has a lot of benefits for our skin.
I always use these two ingredients to stop my acne from getting worse. So if you are breaking out or have acne, these two ingredients will help you to deal with that!
Do Honey And Cinnamon Remove Acne Scars?
Cinnamon and honey contain antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that will help you to kill and prevent acne bacteria from spreading on your skin. Together they form a strong disinfectant, that will keep acne scars at bay!
Cinnamon will eliminate blackheads and clean your skin naturally. According to an article published in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science, cinnamon has antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
Cinnamon also has astringent properties, which help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
The type of cinnamon that works best for acne is “true cinnamon” or “Cinnamomum zeylanicum”.
Honey also has anti-inflammatory qualities that help to reduce pimple redness and the swelling and pain from blind pimples.
Honey is a sweet liquid made of sugar and mostly fructose. It contains proteins, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes.
Honey has been used for thousands of years to treat a wide variety of ailments. It is used to treat fungal infections and skin burns. You can also use honey in your skincare routine.
Honey has many chemical properties that make it effective against bacteria.
- High sugar content makes the bacteria less likely to multiply.
- The acidity makes it difficult for bacteria to grow.
- Antimicrobial properties.
The type of honey that works best for treating acne is Manuka honey [R]. This particular type of honey is unprocessed and is used for medicinal purposes.
Honey And Cinnamon Mask For Acne Scars
1. Take a clean bowl.
2. Add 1 teaspoon honey and a pinch of cinnamon powder to the bowl.
3. Mix the ingredients till cinnamon blends completely with the honey.
How To Use
1. Make sure your skin is clean before applying this cinnamon honey mask.
2. With clean fingers or a spatula, apply the mask all over your face.
3. Make sure to get plenty in the grooves to the sides of your nose and all over the forehead.
4. You might experience a burning sensation initially, but that’s just cinnamon doing its job.
5. You can use this face mask as a spot treatment too! What I mean is that you can apply this to specific areas where you always get pimples or acne blemishes.
6. I normally leave this mask for 30 minutes because I love the results I get. But if you don’t have that time, 15 minutes works great. When time is up rinse the mask in circular motions with cold water.
7. Apply this mask weekly.
When you apply this mask weekly, your skin is going to feel soft, clean, and super glowy.
Honey, Cinnamon, Coffee, Nutmeg Face Scrub For Acne Scars
- 2 tablespoons of ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of nutmeg powder
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- Take a clean bowl.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl and mix well. Your scrub is ready.
How To Use
- Apply the scrub to your face and massage gently in circular motions for 10 minutes.
- Focus on the affected areas.
- Be careful if your skin is sensitive.
- You will get a burning sensation, but that’s okay. It is a sign that the treatment is working.
- Don’t use this treatment every day.
Honey has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Cinnamon powder helps in killing bacteria that are causing acne. Nutmeg is known to fight inflammation and infection on the skin.
Honey, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Lemon Juice Face Mask For Acne Scars
- One tablespoon of nutmeg
- One tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- One tablespoon of honey
- One tablespoon of lemon juice
Mix the ingredients in a clean bowl. Your face mask is ready for use.
How To Use
- Apply the face mask all over your face.
- Let it dry for 30 minutes.
- You will get a burning sensation for the first 15 minutes, but don’t worry about it.
- Rinse it off with water.
- You can use this mask once a week.
This mask works to rejuvenate the skin and clears the skin of existing acne scars.
- Use raw or manuka honey.
- Use true Cinnamon.
- Don’t use the recipes if you have an allergy to any one of the ingredients. Honey can cause shortness of breath in some people, whereas people allergic to cinnamon notice a slight burning sensation that leads to redness and swelling.
- Always do a patch test before using it on the entire face.
Tips To Treat Acne
- Washing the face twice a day with a mild cleanser and warm water is recommended.
- If you have many pimples, you may want to use a spot treatment on them.
- Use an oil-free moisturizer.
- Applying an oil-free sunscreen before stepping out of the house.
- Use products containing salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide.
- Use non-comedogenic and oil-free products.
- Once or twice a week, apply a skin-clearing mask such as honey and cinnamon.
So, that’s it, guys. These were some of the ways to incorporate honey and cinnamon into your acne skincare routine. To help keep your skin clear, you should also eat foods rich in antioxidants regularly and maintain a balanced diet.
If you are looking for natural options, I have remedies to clear acne scars naturally. Make sure to check them out!